February 16, 2019
1. John often speaks in ‘dualities’ – e.g. things are true or false.
Scan through the First Epistle of John and see what dualities you can identify – i.e. what things does John present as only having two possible options or outcomes?
2. It was pointed out in the sermon that the Gospel of John was written to lead sinners to salvation while the First Epistle was written to lead saints to assurance of salvation. What evidence is there in these two writings to support such a claim?
Start with Jn. 20:31 and 1 Jn 5:13 but see what other verses you can find.
3. What do the false teachers in 1 John appear to be saying and what is John doing in his letter to counteract them?
4. The four key passages which deal with what true followers are to believe were identified as: 1 Jn 1:1-2:2; 1 Jn 2:18-28; 1 Jn 3:24b-4:6; 1 Jn 5:3b-21.
From these passages, what is said about the following key things to be known and believed?
(1) God is Light (1 Jn. 1:1-5)
(2) We are sinners (1 Jn. 1:6-2:2)
(3) We have an anointing from the Holy One (1 Jn. 2:18-28)
(4) Basic Beliefs about Jesus:
i. Basic Belief #1: Jesus is the Christ come in flesh (1 Jn. 4:1-6, 5:1)
ii. Basic Belief #2: Love for God and his Son expresses itself in keeping his commandments (1 Jn. 5:2-3)
iii. Basic Belief #3: Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God will overcome the world (1 Jn. 5:4-6)
iv. Basic Belief #4: Eternal life is found only in the Son and this is testified to by God the Spirit, by water, and by blood (1 Jn. 5:6-12)
5. Consider the take-away questions:
• How committed are you to making sure that you believe the right things?
• How desperate are you to grow in knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ?
• How hungry are you to read God’s Word for a better understanding of his ways and our sinfulness?
• How is your faith?