May 3, 2014
HOME GROUP QUESTIONS (First week in May)
This week we return to Matthew’s gospel.
John message was titled….
‘WHY WAS JESUS BAPTIZED?’
Have you ever asked yourself that question? If you heard John speak on Sunday you will now know or at least have more idea.
In this study let’s go through again some of what John shared and clarify the main points.
Read about Jesus baptism in Matthew 3: 13-17.
John the Baptist’s requirement for baptism was for people to first repent of their sins and turn to God. Matt. 3:11.
So why did Jesus need to be baptized. John struggled with this. What did Jesus say? Matt. 3:15.
Discuss in your group what Jesus meant.
Jesus baptism foreshadowed His work as our High Priest.
· Read Galatians 4:4. What was Jesus subject to?
· What were we slaves to? V5.
· According to Hebrews 5:1, what was the role of a priest?
· Could anyone who wanted to, become a priest or was there other certain requirements? Read Hebrews 5:4.
· What does v5-6 say about Christ in this respect?
· Read more in v7-10 about how Jesus while on earth started fulfilling His role as a perfect High Priest.
· After rising from the dead where did Jesus go and what is He doing? Hebrews 8:1-2.
Let’s now look at the relevance of Jesus baptism to his role as our High Priest
We read in Matt. 3:15 Jesus said to John he must be baptized,
‘….for we must carry out all that God requires…’
1. Going into the waters of baptism represents dying.
· The role of a priest was to offer sacrifices to God for the sins of the people. Hebrews 5:1
Jesus died offering himself as the sacrifice for our sins. Hebrews 7:27, 2nd Corinthians 5:21, 1Peter 2:24.
2. Coming up out of the waters of baptism symbolises rising to new life.
Jesus rose from the dead. Read 1Corinthians 15:20. What does Paul say Jesus is the first of v20b?
When Jesus came out of the water what then happened? Matthew 3:16.
What does the presence of the Holy Spirit mean?
3. What then happened? God the Father gave His approval. Matthew 3:17 …. ‘And a voice from heaven said, ’This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.’
Read Romans 6:1-11 about how we were united with Christ in baptism. Discuss the benefits Paul points out.
How do we do what Paul says in Colossians 3:1-4?
The Holy Spirit came and rested on Christ after his baptism. Read in Galatians 4:5-7 what happened to us when we believed in Christ. How has this made a difference in your life?
Read Hebrews 10:19-23. Discuss in your group… ‘How does all of this influenced your devotion to God, your desire to live a life pleasing to him and to share what Christ has done for your unsaved family, friends and work colleagues?’