April 22, 2020
CPV Life group notes Series: Walking Worthy
Text Eph. 2:1-10 Date Preached: 19th April 2020
Ephesians chapter one reveals God’s eternal plan in choosing those who are predestined to sonship and adoption into his family. This redemption is predestined, accomplished, applied and consummated by God through Christ and is sealed by the Holy Spirit. Paul prays that they may know God intimately and personally, the hope of their calling, their glorious inheritance, and the mighty power at work within them. This power is displayed in Christ’s resurrection, and now all cosmic powers are subject to Christ and are under his feet. Christ is the head of the church and therefore head over all believers. Chapters 2 and 3 explain the execution of God’s eternal plan, revealing how God makes sinners into saints and builds them into the church, the body of Christ.
1. Please read Eph. 2:1-3. What are the ways in which humanity is described in these verses? How do you think the church at Ephesus would understand this doctrine? Who does this description of humanity cover? ( also see Romans 3:9-20)
2. The first 3 verses of this chapter reinforce the doctrine known as “Total Depravity”. Why is this doctrine so important when it comes to sharing the gospel with others? How would you explain this truth to your non-believing friends, neighbors and family members?
Difficult optional question: What does total depravity not mean?
3. Please read Ephesians 2:4-9. How is God described in these verses? What actions has God performed (4-6)? How has God made us alive in Christ? (please reference other parts of Ephesians in your answer)
4. What is the purpose of God’s grace as explained in verse 7? What does this mean?
5. How would you explain to an unbeliever what God’s grace is? As you ponder verse 8-9, what is the gift of salvation? How do you understand works, in light of this portion of Scripture? (2:1-9).
6. When you consider Verse 10 what difference should God’s gift of salvation make to our lives? What does the term “workmanship” mean? What hinders you from doing the good works God prepared for you to do?
7. Spend some time memorizing the verse below, also spend some time praying for the lost asking God for the opportunity to use his word (Eph. 2:1-9), to share the wonderful grace and mercy of God.
Eph. 2:8-10 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not of your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.