April 27, 2020
The first three chapters of Ephesians is about salvation from God’s perspective. Paul now turns his attention to what it means to be a follower of Christ. How should the believer walk? In what ways should God’s workmanship be evident in the Christians life? Our walk should always be an action of response. A response for all God has done to save us. As we spend the next little while studying this topic of walking worthy, be prayerful in seeking the Lord to show you through his word areas within your life that require refining.
Please read Eph. 4:1-6
1. In verse 1 Paul “urges” the Ephesians to “walk in a manner worthy of the calling”. (In the NIV the word for walk is translated live). How does this instruction relate to Eph. 2: 1-10? What is the basis of the Christians walk? In the context of Eph. what does Paul mean by the word calling?
2. How do you think unity is different from uniformity?
3. Because God’s people are called to be a unified, several marks of unity should exemplify our walk. What are those marks/ steppingstones? (5 steps are mentioned) Once you have identified these steppingstones please define what each mean. (To help define what each trait means use a word to describe the opposite of the characteristic.) Which particular steps are the most difficult, and why? How would the original audience be challenged by these principles of unity? How are you challenged by these principles of unity?
4. Paul tells the Ephesian believers to be “eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit” (ESV) Please look at three other different bible translations of this verse (4:3) and determine what the Christians role is in maintaining the unity of the Spirit. Why do you think Paul exhorts the Ephesians in this way prior to the strong statement about the body being one? What is the result of growing and walking in a worthy way according to verse 3? Is this an active or passive pursuit?
5. In verses 4-6 Paul’s repeats the word “one” seven times within the framework of the Trinity’s ministry. How does unity of our God relate to Christian unity? Please read John 17:17-26, what strikes you about Jesus’ prayer request, and how does this relate to Paul’s exhortation?
6. Spend some time thinking through the areas in your life that disrupt unity within the body of Christ. Take some time to seek the Lord in changing your attitude and heart towards these issues. Document some practical steps that you will take this week to develop unity.
Eph. 4:1-3 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.