February 21, 2015
This week’s study is about,
“The Incarnation – Jesus the Christ”
The Apostles’ Creed, ‘ I believe in …. Jesus Christ His (Father’s) only Son our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary….’
1. If someone was to ask you the question ‘Who is Jesus Christ?’, how would you answer? What do you think are the most important things to mention about Him?
2. What names are given to the three Persons of the Trinity? Matthew 28:19?
3. Jesus Deity.
What do the following passages tell us about Jesus Christ? What did:
· God the Father say? Hebrews 1:8.
· John the apostle? John1:1.
· Doubting Thomas after Jesus rose from the dead? John 20:28.
· Paul? Colossians 2:9.
· Jesus say about Himself when asked ‘Who do you think you are?’ John 8:52-58.
What was the significance of Jesus referring to Himself as ‘I Am”? John 8:58. (see also Exodus 3:14.)
Why do you think the Jews tried to stone Him? John 8:59.
Where did Jesus say He was before the world began? John 17:5.
What did Stephen see just before he was stoned to death? Acts 7:54-56.
What is the greatest proof that Jesus was (is) who He said He was? Acts 2:32-33.
4. The Father’s Mission.
What was God’s plan before the beginning of time? 1 Peter 1:18-20, Ephesians 1:4.
Read and discuss God’s revelation of this plan over the centuries.
· Genesis 3:15.
· Isaiah 7:14, 9:6.
· Isaiah 40:3-5. Cross reference, Mark 1:1-8.
What was God’s reason for His mission? John 3:16.
What was our condition? Ephesians 2:1-3.
5. Jesus Humanity. How did it all unfold?
What did God do when the right time came? Galatians 4:4.
Read about Mary’s experience? Luke 1:26-38. Discuss Mary’s question in v34 and the angel’s answer in v 35. Note Mary’s response. v38.
What would your response be if something so significant was shown you? See Joseph’s response also. Matthew 1:18-25, esp. v24.
Why do you think Matthew added Matthew 1:25a? How important was this?
· Jesus birth. Luke 2:6-20. Why do you think God chose Jesus to be born in a stable and revealed His birth to the lowly shepherds rather than the spiritual leaders of the day? Imagine and discuss the shepherd’s experience?
· Luke’s account of Jesus growing up. Luke 2:40 as a child and Luke 2:41-52 as a 12 year old.
· As an adult what did Jesus experience according to the following passages,
John 4:4-6, Mark 4:35-38.
John 11:33-37, Luke 22:39-44.
. Luke 23:46.
With the passages above in mind do you think Jesus was as much human as you? Share the reasons for your answer.
How important is it that Jesus was fully human? Discuss Hebrews 2:14. Hebrews 4:14-18.
Is knowing that Jesus is fully God and fully Man helpful in your day to day living? Share with the rest of your group.
Would you be able to answer question 1. any different as a result of this study?