April 14, 2020
Michael Green, in his book Man Alive states “Without faith in the resurrection there would be no Christianity at all. The Christian church would never had begun; the Jesus Movement would have fizzled like a damp squid with His execution. You see, Christianity stands or falls with the truth of the resurrection. Once you disprove it, you have dispossessed Christianity.” Paul the apostle puts it this way, “And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile, and you are still in your sins.” (1 Corinthians 15:17) The resurrection of Jesus is central to the gospel and to our faith.
Please read the following accounts: Matt. 28:1-10; Mark 16:1-8; Luke 24:1-12; John 20:1-18
1. What is similar in these accounts and what is unique?
2. If you needed to defend the resurrection to an unbeliever how would you do so by using the gospel record? (Also consider Matt 27:62-66 and 28:11-15 and 1 Cor 15:3-9)
3. Consider the Matthew account (Matt. 28:1-10), what are the commands given to the two Mary’s by the angel? And then by Jesus? What is the most important thing about these instructions?
4. Explain the reaction that the Mary’s have when Jesus identifies himself to them? As you consider the importance of the resurrection what is your natural reaction towards Jesus?
5. Jesus calls his disciples “my brothers”, what is so significant about this title? How often does Jesus use this term in the gospels? What comfort would this title provide his disciples? How is this title relevant to all who have placed their faith in Jesus? (use other scriptures to substantiate your answer)
6. According to the following verses why is the resurrection so important for the believer?
a. Rom 4:25
b. 1 Cor. 15:17
c. 1 Cor. 15:3-4
d. 1 Cor. 15:20.