February 3, 2018
This week’s study is the first of two which is church@paravista’s response to the above topic.
Why this topic? Consider Danny’s introductory words on Sunday and discuss their relevance to us.
We thought that we need to address these issues, to make it very clear as to where our church beliefs are.
The Eldership has been working through documents over the past 6 or so months that surround the issue of sexuality and marriage.
Friends, there is no point in burying our heads in the sand, these relationships are on the rise, and we as Christians need to grow and understand how we can love all people better, regardless of their race, gender or beliefs.
1. God’s Word.
Some people believe the Bible contains the Word of God but it isn’t all the Word of God.
What do you think? Do you know?
Discuss in your group the difference and how important it is to know.
What will be the result in our lives if we are not clear?
Read and discuss what the following passages tell us.
2 Peter 1:3-4, 20-21.
2 Timothy 3:16-17.
Acts 1:16, 3:18.
If we stand up for the Truth according to God’s Word what is likely to happen? See John 15:18-25.
What does Paul tell us we are called to be?
See Philippians 2:15-16, Ephesians 5:6-14
A. Read and discuss church@paravista’s Statement on Sexuallity.
1. God created human sexuality as male and female (Gen. 1:27).
2. Biblical options for sexual behaviour are to be understood and expressed in terms of either a monogamous married relationship between one man and one woman (Gen. 1:27-28; 2:18, 21-24; Matt. 19:4-6; Mk. 10:5-8; cf. Heb. 13:4) or sexual celibacy (1 Cor. 7:7; Matt. 19:12).
3. Marriage between a woman and a man is to create a “one flesh” union (Gen. 2:23-24; Matt. 19:5), which in turn signifies the spiritual union between Christ and His body, the Church (Eph. 5:22-33).
4. Human sexuality has been deeply damaged by the fall of man into sin (Gen. 3; Rom. 3:23; 5:12).
5. The desire (temptation) for a same or opposite-sex attraction is not of itself sin, but can result in sin, if expressed contrary to God’s design blueprint. It is the yielding to any such temptation, outside of a heterosexual marriage relationship that is immorality. (Eph. 5:3).
6. While sexual sin is no different from other sin in its condemnation by God, 1 Corinthians 6:18 places sexual sin in a unique category as, “sin against one’s own body”. The implication of this for a Christian is further emphasised in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 with reference to the Christian as the “temple of the Holy Spirit”.
7. All homosexual behaviour is specifically identified as sin in both the Old Testament and the New Testament (Gen. 19:4-11; Lev. 18:22; 20:13; Judges 19:22-25; Rom. 1:24-27; 1 Cor. 6:9-11; 1 Tim. 1:8-11; 2 Pet. 2:6-7; Jude 7).
B. Consider the practical outworking of this.
Church@paravista will only practice, support and encourage marriage between a man and a woman. Ideally such marriages will be between those who have a personal Christian faith and who see their union with each other as a three-way union with Christ.
Further to this, the facilities of church@paravista will only be available for:-
i. The consecration of marriages between a man and a woman, and
ii. Marriage related events (pre-marriage counselling, pre-wedding activities, wedding receptions, and anniversaries) that are aligned with the position of church@paravista on marriage.
Discuss in your group the importance of knowing our church’s stance on this.
C. Discuss Danny’s following words….
In our current climate, we are not highlighting or singling out same sex relationships. Divorce is now common place, living together prior to or in place of marriage has been normalized and socially acceptable, but the Bible is clear on how all sexual relationships between men and woman should be.
We can only conclude from the Word of God that sex before marriage, or extra marital sex or same sex relationships are not in our best interests and certainly not in the way God has designed us to live…..
God desires the very best for you and I, and has designed and laid out the very best way for us to live –if you want to live as God has designed you to live, His way is the best way.