August 27, 2016
1. How does knowing something of the cultural background to the Lord’s Supper (i.e. the celebration of a communal ‘Love Feast’ before the taking of the bread and the cup) help us understand 1 Cor. 11:17-
2. What was the ‘error of the church’ in verses 17-22 and how does Paul describe it? What do you think was the cause of this? What cliques, divisions or factions are evident at Church@ParaVista? What things do we do that are a distraction from showing the world that we are a community of God’s people concerned to share the gospel? What can we do to overcome these divisions and distraction?
3. In verses 23-26 Paul gives us ‘example of Christ’ for the model, method, and meaning of the Lord’s Supper. What are the key ideas that Paul presents here
4. 1 Cor 11:23-26 is a summary of what Jesus said and did when establishing the Lord’s Supper. Look at Matt. 27:17-29; Mark 14: 12-25; and Luke 22:7-22 (and see also John 6:35-59) and make a list of all the things Jesus said and did and what meanings he attributed to the various objects and action
5. What ‘effects of carelessness’ does Paul detail in verses 27-30? Is Paul going a little overboard here for dramatic effect or are these real consequences and are they still evident today? What does self-examination entail? What does ‘discerning the Lord’s body mean?
6. What ‘explanation of the chastisement’ does Paul give in verses 31-32? What purpose does God’s discipline play in the life of a believer?
7. Mark entitled verses 33-34, ‘the encouragement of community’. What is Paul saying about community here and what is he encouraging them to do and why?
8. What are your views on the following matters and how would you debate them with a person who takes a different view?