This book published by the Uniting church called 27 Spiritual Gifts By Robert Hillman lists 27 spiritual gifts and divides them into two groups. Speaking gifts and Serving gifts. This division seems to me to be an artificial and simplistic way of looking at the gifts. In doing so he mingles what can be seen as God given natural gifts, which may be enhanced by the Spirit with what we see as supernatural gifts, those that are beyond man’s created ability. I will list the gifts as he has them in his book with the scripture verse he uses to make his claims.
- Apostles, Ephesians 4:11.
- Prophet, Ephesians 4:11.
- Evangelist, Ephesians 4:11
- Teacher, Ephesians 4:11
- Pastor, Ephesians 4:11
- Exhortation, Romans 12:8
- The word of Wisdom, 1 Corinthians 12:8
- Word of knowledge, 1 Corinthians 12:8
- Discernment, 1 Corinthians 12:10
- Missionary, no verse given
- Courage, 1 Corinthians 13:8
- Speaking in tongues, 1 Corinthians 12:10
- Interpretation of tongues, 1 Corinthians 12:10, 30; 14:13, 27-28
- Service, Romans 12:7
- Mercy, Romans 12:8
- Helping, 1 Corinthians 12:28
- Assistance, no verse given
- Voluntary poverty, 1 Corinthians 13:3
- Giving, Romans 12:8
- Leadership, Romans 12:8
- Faith, 1 Corinthians 12:9.
- Administration, 1 Corinthians 12:28
- Celibacy, 1 Corinthians 7:7
- Hospitality, 1 Peter 4:7-10
- Intercession, No verse given
- Healing, 1 Corinthians 12:9,28
- Miracles, 1 Corinthians 12:10, 28
- Exorcism, No verse given
There are certain things among this list that I wonder whether we can look on them as special gifts. He does not differentiate between natural and supernatural so there is a chance that all fall into the general category of gifts, especially keeping James’ word in mind that all good things come from God.
This post filed under
Spiritual GiftsTowards Maturity