November 15, 2014
This week’s study is titled,
‘Who Is This Man’
1. Read Matthew 8:23-27. ( parallel versions, Mark 4:35-41, Luke 8:22-25. )
Imagine the scene, like you were there with the disciples in the boat. A fierce storm sweeps down from the mountains around the Sea of Galilee with gale force winds whipping up six metre waves crashing all around, the boat is filling with water, you’re sure to drown and you look across at Jesus and He’s laying down with his head on a cushion sound asleep, oblivious to it all.
You shout at Jesus, ‘Teacher, don’t you care we’re going to drown?’
Jesus wakes up, stands up, rebukes the wind and raging waves, ‘Silence. Be still.’ He says.
Suddenly the wind stops and there is a great calm.
Then he asks ‘Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?’ Mark 4:39b-40.
Up to this point you had seen Jesus perform some miracles but nothing like this!
Read the disciples response. Luke 8:25.
‘Who Is This Man?’
2. If people today were asked that question what do you think their answers would be?
3. Read Matthew 16:13-16. Jesus asked his disciples later on in his three and a half year ministry,
Read the first part of Jesus response to Peter. Matthew 16:17
Read also John 6:44-45 and Paul’s words in Galatians 1:15-16. (especially v.16a)
4. Who blinds people from coming to understand and see who Jesus really is?
2nd Corinthians 4:4, Matthew 13:19.
5. As you read the following passages about Jesus ask these questions.
1st John 1:1-4.
1st Timothy 3:16.
6. As you worked through these questions was there anything which helped you to get to know better ‘Who Jesus really is?’ Share with your group.
7. How many of your family, friends, workmates, etc. don’t know who Jesus really is?
Spend some time praying for them keeping in mind 2nd Corinthians 4:3-4 and Paul’s words in Ephesians 6:19.