The following is by Mark Kulikovsky
- What problems with holiness did the Corinthians have? From the first 10 chapters of 1 Corinthians what are some of the ways in which Paul encouraged the Corinthians to be holy?
- In the sermon it was stated about the Corinthian church: “Although they were the Christian church in Corinth, an inordinate amount of Corinth was still in them!” What evidence is there in 1 Corinthians to support this statement?
- What role does verse 1 (“Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ”) play in Paul’s argument?
- The four possible meaning of ‘head’ in this passage are: (1) the ‘thing’ sitting on your shoulders; (2) the one having supremacy or authority over; (3) the source or origin; (4) the preeminent or foremost one who is representative of others. Which do you think makes the most sense in the context of Paul’s argument? Why? Is it a problem that Paul might actually be using the word in more than one way in the passage?
- What were the Corinthians doing to bring dishonour upon God? (see verses 4-6) What were the cultural issues behind Paul’s argument?
- What is Paul’s argument from Creation in verses 7-12?
- What is Paul’s argument from Culture in verses 13-15?
- What is Paul’s argument from Convention in verse 16?
- Do you think that gender distinctiveness is being blurred in our churches today? Why or why not? If so, in what ways? If not, how is that distinctiveness being maintained?
- There are quite contradictory views held by different churches on the issue of women in ministry? What is your view? Do you know what Church@ParaVista’s view is? How do you defend either your own or the church’s view from Scripture?
This post filed under