January 24, 2015
Home Group Questions(forth week in January)
This week’s study is about,
When you hear the word ‘holy’ what do you think off? Is there an image which comes to mind? Is there someone? Do you think of God? Do you see yourself as holy to some degree in some areas or only as your position ‘In Christ’? How would you describe ‘holy’? Share your thoughts with others in your group.
1. The Source of Holiness
Discuss what the following men of God saw….
· Isaiah in his vision of the Lord. Isaiah 6:1-4.
· Also John in his vision of the Lord. Revelations 4:6-8.
· Peter, James and John saw in their brief glimpse of Jesus true glory. Matthew 17:1-8
Read Peter’s reference to that experience about 40 years later. 2 Peter 1:16-18.
Read 1Peter 1:15-16.
2. Our natural state and God’s solution.
Read Isaiah 64:6, Romans 3:9-18.
What was Isaiah’s response when he saw God and heard the praises of the angels in his vision? Isaiah 6:5
What happened next ? Isaiah 6:6-7.
What does John say is the way we can be forgiven and have our guilt removed? Read 1John 1:5-10
Read what Paul says the kind of sorrow God wants us to have toward our sin. 2 Corinthians 7:8-10.
3. Holiness is a fruit of our relationship with God.
Discuss our calling to be holy. Read 1Peter 1:13-16, Ephesians 4:1.
What is to be our motivation for living a holy life? Romans 12:1
Who does the work in us? 2 Corinthians 3:18, Philippians 2:13.
What is to be our response? Philippians 2:12, 2 Corinthians 7:1
What is our hope and sure future to keep focused on? 1 Corinthians 15:50-57. 1 John 3:1-2.
What is the result of keeping this our focus as our ultimate destiny? 1 John 3:3
Read Paul’s sober warning in 1Thesalonians 4:7-8.
What principle does Peter reinforce as a safe guard to help us walking in God’s ways? 2 Peter 1:12-15.
What key word is mentioned three times?
Discuss the importance of Paul’s great teaching in Colossians 3:12-17?
Below is taken from Danny’s message for you to discuss and look at ways to help you apply and keep growing in holiness.
As I have pondered on how each of us can peruse holiness and what can help us the most – I would like to ask you some questions –
1. Who has had or has a person that has consistently spurred them on in their Christian walk?
2. Do you believe it has made a difference in where you are today as a Christian?
3. What kind of things have they done to help you?
I am a big believer of championing the next generation, to help them be all that they can be in Christ.
Titus 2, gives a great outline on how the older men and women should be sowing into the lives of the younger generation, by firstly being an example in love, patience, living wisely, by training them, showing a strong faith, integrity and turning from godless living and sinful pleasures.
Men and women, teenagers and children, we can all invest into each other
We can all adopt, mentor, come alongside, champion this and the next generation for Jesus Christ
· Let us not be moaners and groaners of what could or should have been, but let us be the living lights amongst our church and community.
· Let us encourage one another – purposefully and help them to grow in the Lord.
· Help them to make Godly choices, have Godly jobs, chose Godly husbands and wives.
· To show and be an example in your own life what Godly respect is.
· How to live by faith and not by sight.
· Not to beat others up with the bible – by shaming them – but come along side, lifting them up with the truth of God’s grace and forgiveness. To pray for, and with them.
That is how I believe our church should be, how I believe that we as Christians should be.
Let us love each other, build one another up in Christ Jesus and make it a priority to invest in each other’s lives
ACCOUNTABILITY, ACCOUNTABILITY, ACCOUNTABILITY.
PLEASE, go to a home group that you can be honest with as you and they pursue holiness, go to a prayer group, have brutally honest friendships to help remove our masks with, meet one on one admonishing each other in the Lord, send messages of love and encouragement, show forgiveness to each other.
Let each of us pursue holiness to God’s glory. Brothers and sisters this is God’s will for you, in Christ Jesus.