March 2, 2019
1. So far in this series we have looked at the test of ‘knowing’ (looking at what we know and believe, and what beliefs mark us out as true followers of Jesus) and the test of ‘being’ (looking at our identity, who we are, so we can see what marks out a true follower of Jesus).
What relationship does the test of ‘doing’ have to these other tests and how do we guard against any notion of working for salvation?
2. What is the essence and argument of the ‘remaining’ component of the ‘doing’ test? Consider passages like the following verses and passages – 1 Jn. 2:6,10,14,18-28; 4:12-16.
Consider also some of John’s earlier thoughts on this matter in Jn. 1:32-33; 8:31; 14:10; 15:1-16.
3. What is righteousness? What does it mean to practice righteousness? See 1 Jn. 2:1-6; 2:29-3:10.
What is the relationship between ‘doing right’ and ‘righteousness’? What is the opposite of this according to John?
4. John seems to be distinguishing between habitual and occasional sin? What might the difference be?
From 1 Jn. 3:3-10 explore this issue and identify what habitual sin is incompatible with. How does 1 Jn. 1:9 relate to this issue?
5. Explore the following passages to see what John says about ‘loving one’s brothers and sisters’ – 1 Jn. 2:7-11; 3:10b-24; 4:7-21.
What is its relationship to loving God? (see also Deut. 6:5; Lev. 19:18; Matt. 22:37-40).
What are some practical ways that we can show love for our brothers and sisters at Church@ParaVista?
6. Consider the take-home questions:
• How zealous am I for the ‘doing’ test?
• Am I faithful in sticking to the truths about God or am I allowing false teachers or my own desires and preferences to reshape the truths about God that I used to hold?
• Do I always do the right thing or only when others are watching?
• Is there some habitual sin in my life?
• Am I doing good works that show I am a child of God?
• Does my love for God transfer visibly and increasingly into self-sacrificial attachment to and affection for others in my life – people whom God has placed there so as to give me opportunity to show them his love conveyed through my life?