May 24, 2014
HOME GROUP QUESTIONS (forth week in May)
This week we look at Matthew 4:18-25.
Tolly spoke on….
‘Christ calls Disciples and Ministers’
Read these accounts, Matthew 4:18-22; Matthew 10:1-4; John 1:35-51
1. What minimum qualifications do you need to follow Jesus?
2. To what specific ministry did Jesus call the disciples?
3. Ask yourself….
‘How can I, and do I, model the following Christian virtues?’
Philippians 4:8-9, 1Timothy 4:11-13, 1 Peter 5:2-3.
Discuss and apply these passages to your own life.
Are you an example to others?
Do you know someone you can emulate?
4. Discuss the inadequacies in the disciple’s lives.
· Lack of understanding. Luke 18:31-34, Acts 1:6-7.
· Lack of humility. Mark 9:33-37.
· Lack of faith. Mark 16:14, Luke 9:37-43
· Lack of commitment.
How did Jesus deal with this problem? John 17:13-19; Luke 22:31-32.
· Lacked Spiritual power.
Was this problem solved at the Pentecost? Acts 2:14, Acts 4:13-20
What inadequacy(s) do you have? How can they be solved and rectified?
· Holy Spirit. Acts 1:8, Galatians 5:16, 22-25
· God’s Word. Colossians 3:16, 2Timothy 3:16-17.
· Prayer. Ephesians 6:18, Philippians 4:6-7
(Matthew 10:2-4. The list of Jesus’ 12 disciples doesn’t give us many detail, probably because there weren’t many impressive details to tell! Jesus called people from all walks of life, fishermen, political activists, tax collectors, etc. He called common people and uncommon leaders, rich and poor, educated and uneducated. Today many people think only certain people are fit to follow Christ, but this was not the attitude of the Master himself. God can use any one no matter how insignificant he or she appears. When you feel small or useless, remember God uses ordinary people to do His extraordinary work.)
5. What is the difference between a Disciple and an Apostle? Matt. 10:1-4
How did they become Disciples? How did they become Apostles?
(The disciples became apostles. Disciple means ‘follower or learner,’ and Apostle means ‘messenger or missionary.’ These men now had the special assignment of spreading the Good news of Jesus death and resurrection.)
How would you describe yourself, a Disciple or an Apostle?
6. Read Ephesians 4:1-7, 11-16, Philippians 2:1-5.
· What transcended the Apostle’s individual differences?
· What/Who is the power of spiritual unity?
· Evaluate our Church……is it united?
Share your answers with the rest of your group.
ARE YOU PREPARED TO CONTINUE AND FINISH THE TASK BEGAN BY JESUS?